Usha
Sandhya and TheIndianhomemaker tagged me to state 10 things that I do that are normally not considered feminine.
I grew up in a family where women did all the work and men analysed, criticised and paid the bills. I was considered a Tomboy because I had no problem speaking to strangers, I always spoke my mind out, never blushed, did not care about what I wore or how I looked.
It is a little tough for me to do this post because I really am not aware of what is supposed to be 'feminine' but I will try.

- I don't depend on a male to change bulbs or fix minor problems relating to TV antenna, cable, telephone etc. The other day there was no power in the house for about 4 hours and husband was trying to reach the electricity office. I opened the fusebox and found that the fuse had fallen and voila! I am a bit more mechanical than most women that I know who need help even to change their gas cylinder. I am generally comfortable around gadgets although I don't make it my life's mission to own each of them.

- I drove a scooter to work for about 8 years.

- I was the manager of a bank branch - at that time I was the only lady manager in the whole region although it is fairly common now. Some of the boys in the office insisted on calling me 'saar' just to rile me.

- Since husband had a heart surgery a few years back, I am the the one who lifts all the heavy things around the house. Come to think of it, I believe it was the case even before the surgery.

- When our son left for distant shores for the first time, it was the husband who was wiping away tears. I just said good bye, came home and slept. Not that I wasn't hurting. it is just that I tend to approach these things a little less emotionally and more rationally.

- I used to be able to change the punctured tyre of my car. Haven't done it in a while. Don't know if my hands have the strength still. Will try it one of these days just for fun.

- While at parties or weddings I tend to look at the women especially the good looking ones. I can hear your thoughts, hahahha. I just think that women look much nicer than men in general. That is all. And since I have no idea about the right stuff to wear and the accessories, I am in awe of those who can do it all and carry themselves well.

- Cannot understand why anyone needs more than one handbag or two pairs of slippers.

- will not wear something uncomfortable just to look good - e.g. high heels or stilettos. Will quite happily wear my walking shoes with my silks if only people would have the decency not to point it out and comment.

- I do have a slight beard these days which I often forget to pluck and I allegedly snore. Is that manly enough for you?

Now I am not tagging anyone but please feel free to pick up the tag and I assure you that you will have as much fun as I did.
I actually don't mind those TV remotes and beer mugs in Navy blue wrappers. IHM, where do I send you the details so you can mail them to me?
Labels: , | edit post
42 Responses
  1. Uncanny ! I could be writing the last 4 myself....Such a wonderful post .....


  2. aargee Says:

    That was such a cute post... liked it :)


  3. Anonymous Says:

    very very cute:)


  4. Anonymous Says:

    The last one is the best!


  5. starry eyed Says:

    I have just 2 pairs of shoes myself...and choose comfort over looks anytime! Reading everyone's posts has made me wonder which woman is following the pukka stereotypes anymore? Well, yes, I know there are lots of them...they don't blog!

    Loved the list!


  6. Reema Says:

    I look at the pretty women too :P I think women check out other women more than men!!


  7. Unknown Says:

    Usha - amazing how much you and I have in common . But shut up about your beard !


  8. dipali Says:

    A post after my own heart!!!!!
    Much to bond over, Usha:)


  9. dipali Says:

    A post after my own heart!!!!!
    Much to bond over, Usha:)


  10. Amazing post :)


  11. Anonymous Says:

    LOL Loved your response... last ones are the best :)

    Only a Sinner can feel happy about the curse of a Beer Mug and The TV Remote ...which you have already proved yourself to be, the moment you uttered,

    "I opened the fusebox and found that the fuse had fallen and voila!"


  12. CW Says:

    You know, I could tell most of the points on your list even before reading it- especially the scooter part! Uncanny, eh?!


  13. Serendipity Says:

    Wow.That tyre changing part is on my to do list for quite some time now."..if only people would have the decency not to point it out and comment" :D.We be proud of you, Usha :).You go , boy!!


  14. Raj Says:

    As you have suggested that anyone can pick up the tag, I am trying to list some of the manly things that I do.......


  15. sandhya Says:

    "- will not wear something uncomfortable just to look good - e.g. high heels or stilettos. Will quite happily wear my walking shoes with my silks if only people would have the decency not to point it out and comment." Loved that one. So true. In-fact, I'll go so far as to say that I just cannot walk in high heels. I routinely trip even in my 1/4th inch heels! And yes, I've had people pointing out that I dress so 'indifferently', and couldn't I become more 'feminine' in my dress?


  16. Anonymous Says:

    I so want to take up this tag, Usha.


  17. Usha, you forgot to mention that you can dehusk a coconut as well. By fair means or foul :-D


  18. Lively Says:

    I'd like to hear that you can still change that flat tyre. Let us know in any case :)
    You are one woman I thoroughly enjoy reading and respect a lot for just what you are (or rather what I think you are by reading this space). And did I tell you that you inspire me!?
    And to top it all, you drove a scooter for 8 yrs!!! Bravo lady.


  19. I too did (and do) almost exactly the same things, showing that preconceptions do not mirror reality! I was one of the first to buy and use a TVS 50, much to the amusement of my neighbours, who said it was a very "manly" thing to do!


  20. hillgrandmom Says:

    Usha, comfort over looks is the way to go and I totally agree about not needing more than 1 handbag, in fact I am so relieved to learn I'm not the only one!


  21. maami Says:

    I could fall in love with such a 'man'!


  22. rajk Says:

    Hi Usha,
    Did this tag myself just now. Can't believe how similar we are about the shoes and the handbag!
    Loved the 'lifting heavy stuff' part.


  23. sumathy Says:

    wow, you rock! Usha another good post. Liked your frank way of expressing things...


  24. RGB Says:

    A "tomboy" myself, I could easily relate to it. No hard and fast rules. Just live life as you please.


  25. Loved your list. Completely agree with you on one bag, two pairs of flat chappals, no high heels


  26. Mana Says:

    wonderful post. :)

    Never knew so many things abt u.. like u, my aunt also never cried when her daughter got married.


  27. kusublakki Says:

    Wow..I would love to become like you :)


  28. hey i LOVED ur list.. esp the one abt coming home and sleeping and chking out the women.. i do that too.. for the exact same reason.. they are much better looking, and men are boring. 2., there is so much to learn abt clothing trendds bcs i m totally clueless otherwise.. :-)


  29. Sue Says:

    LOL

    I don't think I snore but I do have one big black hair on my upper chin that I actually enjoy. I always wanted a moustache when I was growing up!


  30. S.V. Says:

    Well, I was almost thinking that most of the so called "manly" things were "manly" to only a certain extent, till u dropped the bomb in the last few lines. Cudn't stop laughing at those ones...You really can be hilarious at times. Apart from that, i must say that changing the car tyres even for a man is pretty difficult. Faced it myself and had a tough time doing that. Anyway, u tc....


  31. S.V. Says:

    Well, I was almost thinking that most of the so called "manly" things were "manly" to only a certain extent, till u dropped the bomb in the last few lines. Cudn't stop laughing at those ones...You really can be hilarious at times. Apart from that, i must say that changing the car tyres even for a man is pretty difficult. Faced it myself and had a tough time doing that. Anyway, u tc....


  32. Anonymous Says:

    Usha,

    I've been a lurker for a while...enjoying your posts...I like your blog and follow it for its simplicity ...and this post kind of confirmed the person I thought you would be...and kind of lives up to the views and thoughts expressed throughout the blog...a simple unpretentious lady..intelligent.. and a sharp wit to complement it all...killer combo !

    You go girl!!:)
    Keep up the blogging...looking forward to more thought provoking and interesting posts!

    Smee


  33. Anonymous Says:

    u rock lady


  34. Parvathi Says:

    It is too cute , I do every thing except electrical l thing which of course even my husband fears. So it is not unwomanly.


  35. sandhya Says:

    You are tagged again! http://sandhyaryal.blogspot.com/2010/07/facing-my-fears.html


  36. Anonymous Says:

    Ohh my GOD!!! Your blog is amazing mam...I have become a great fan :-)Finished reading all your blog archives at a stretch !!! Very interesting and mind blowing !!!

    Subha


  37. Usha Says:

    Hi all: Thank you for the comments.

    was down with a bad viral infection and subsequent after effects.

    hence the delayed response. your comments did help me get better soon. :)


  38. Unknown Says:

    where are you ?


  39. :) you're the best. i loved your list.


  40. InteraDonna Says:

    You have a subtle humor going on in all your posts. I love it. You sure rock! :)


  41. I discovered your blog today and I am upset that I came upon it so late. Because now I'll have to spend the entire week reading all your back posts! But better late than never, I suppose. I loved every bit of your blog. Thanks.


  42. Ardra Says:

    You've been silent for too long now Usha.
    Hope all is well...
    love
    ardra